Welcome, bienvenidos to Cook and the Fly
In this blog you'll find Mexiterranean food pictures and recipes, fishing stories, random thoughts and snippets of my new life in Southern Baja.

2.05.2012

Little piece of countryside in downtown SanJose del Cabo




Frankly, I will admit I liked that little old flat. Very "Melrose Place" I would describe it. The neighbors, with a few exceptions, were mostly young couple, most of them had pets, the pool was always alive with improv parties and it was just minutes away from downtown cafes and restaurants, the beach and the big box stores on the highway.

Everything was cool until the landlady, most likely in order to please her "cock du jour" I might add... posted a flier in which she warned the tenants she was going to place poison baits with the aim to get rid of a little street dog that used to sneak in and soil the patio.




I just could not risk that either Pita or Tony would take a bite of that and so we started a frantic search for a new place to live in.

In less than 24 hours we eventually found a few very desirable options, but the one that truly struck us in the heart was this cute tiny cottage, way in the back of a large downtown property




 blessed by a dozen of so mango and citrus trees ( grapefruit, orange and limes), an unbelievable Tuscan or Provence countryside feeling and a huge potential to grow into a little gem. 




It has been lovely restored, but the garden needs some love and care. The owners are older and, by their admission, can't grow a thing.

First day we moved in I manged to clean up all the storm gutters and channels and rake all the dead leaves off the grounds; trust me when I say there was A LOT.

"Pussy handed" chef...




With Lupita's help, I'll start raising beds for a kitchen garden and will restore the ancient parrilla, Spanish for bbq grill. The latter is going to be an interesting project, since I'll have to take apart what's left of the old brick structure and reassemble it mixing in some really cool and really old adobe bricks we found during the cleaning of the garden.

Love these triangles...

Real bricks (1)

Real bricks (2)


Add caption


                                                                                      ............ to be continued >>>

6 comments:

  1. Your new home certainly reminds me of Tuscany. It could be anywhere along the Mediterranean. Hope you will be very happy there :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am so jealous of your new home! It looks like it has so much potential! Plus the fruit trees...wow!

    Good luck with the renos...I could pop down to give a hand sometime...? haha

    ReplyDelete
  3. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Anytime... I'll put you up fpr bed and food and I'll get you to a couple good "rooster rocks"... you take care of the boat ride and raking the leafes ; )

      Delete