Welcome, bienvenidos to Cook and the Fly
In this blog you'll find Mexiterranean food pictures and recipes, fishing stories, random thoughts and snippets of my new life in Southern Baja.

12.13.2011

Baja Tubes

If you fish from the rocks as frequently as I do, you've lost your own small fortune in flies , leaders and tippets, not to speak of the good ones that got away...
I need a costant supply of flies that are both effective and cheapand fast to tie.
Thinking of my salmon and steelhead angling days I decided to start messing around with Q-tips and tube flies.
All the materials come from thrift stores and such and to fasten the materials to the tube between steps, I use a glue gun and stick glue; this takes care of not having a vise holding my tube and the materials during tying.
I've been playing around for a while with these tube patterns and they all have caught fish ( jacks ,roosters and 'cudas).
They don't look like they're out of an Umpqua or Orvis catalogue...these are "journeyman" flies and I like them for their ruggedness and no nonsense "attitude".
Slide the tippet through, push a sleeve on and tie a hook.






No comments:

Post a Comment