Welcome, bienvenidos to Cook and the Fly
In this blog you'll find Mexiterranean food pictures and recipes, fishing stories, random thoughts and snippets of my new life in Southern Baja.

12.14.2011

40 is not 30

I have been going for more than one week straight through now.


Wake up at quarter to 5, get coffee, Tylenol or Aspirin, Twitter, toast and walk to the beach and cast my way to the marina then fish the marina and walk back home, on the hilltop.


Seen the flies I cast and the water I fish, I opted for my old Tarpon rod : the time tested and trusty Sage RPLX, paired with a Billy Pate Tarpon reel and a 500 grs. Rio Leviathan .
I'm ready for anything, anywhere anytime.. this proved true in Playa del Carmen with tarpon, sailfish, mahi and amberjacks and in British Columbia with ocean chinook in excess og 30 lbs (got to try THAT one! ) and hali's.


Used to go on three days "fishing binges" in the Keys or on Vancover Island steelhead rivers, fish full 12 hours days, then started to cut down to 9, then 6, then 5 ... you get the point.
I only recently received part of my fly fishing equipment... I kept it stored at my friend Richard "the beeswax man" 's home on Salt Spring Island, B.C. and after four years of casting metal jigs and poppers with a pretty cool and fancy - read light and "ladylike"- surf casting rod I jumped back into my fly fishing world I craved and missed so much.


Today, when the alarm went off... I just turned on the other side and told Lupita I wasn't gonna go anywhere...took me twenty minutes to roll out of bed and met to the stove top .


I feel like I need a new right shoulder, right hand and left fingertips and a double knee replacement.


Ahhh.. the fine and gentle art of fly fishing, the "Quiet Sport"!

No comments:

Post a Comment