Welcome, bienvenidos to Cook and the Fly
In this blog you'll find Mexiterranean food pictures and recipes, fishing stories, random thoughts and snippets of my new life in Southern Baja.

12.31.2011

Mexico City Neighborhood Saturday Market

We were getting ready to cook for NY's Eve dinner when I realized we still needed yogurt and dill.

Beeing Saturday, in Lupita's block there was the weekly Saturday market.

We were looking for the herbs guy, wading through a moltitude of people and offerings till we found these really cool cheese stands; these are all artisan, small batch and unpasteurized cheeses



Artisan cheeses and homemade fruity cream liquors....



Food offerings were incredible as always .

This poultry stand , showing off some really nice free range turkeys was truly noteworthy




as well as the display of salsas and condiments at this quesadillas kitchen




Having found all I still needed I took a few moments to indulge in a little shopping for myself and picked up some top notch chapulines ( dried crickets, flavoured with lime and salt) to snack on during the mandatory poker game and an insanely good blue corn quesadilla filled with grilled nopal, chorizo, epazote and the smoothest Oaxaca cheese I ever tasted.

If I ever had any doubt about wanting to live in this City, these last few days of 2011 are most definitively clearing them out of my mind.

3 comments:

  1. HAHAHA! Four hours drive from MC get you to some of the best tarpon fishing EVER.
    If you'd rather drive West...rooster galore on the Pacific coast.
    Me? I'd take back my old tarpon habit in NO TIME! actually, got a couple dozen flies looking very sad in that forgottten box ; )

    ReplyDelete