Welcome, bienvenidos to Cook and the Fly
In this blog you'll find Mexiterranean food pictures and recipes, fishing stories, random thoughts and snippets of my new life in Southern Baja.

12.31.2011

Chileatole = Surprise!!!!

Leaving the flower market the other day I noticed an old lady sitting by a coal burner and stirring a really intriguing bright green substance inside a very large stockpot.

At a second glance I notice yellow, blue and greenish corn hears gently simmering in a smaller pot.




The obvious question: " What is it?" or, better, "Que es esto?"

The lady answered, "Chileatole"... cool, I thought, expecting some sort of sweet hot drink, like atole usually is.

Imagine my surprise when, at the first sip, I got literally HIT by an explosion of epazote.

This stuff is really good, if you like the extremely strong flavour of epazote, and it gets even better if you douse it with the ever present lime and hot peppers powder

Definitively an acquired taste but one I developed really fast..

No comments:

Post a Comment